We’ve written an in-depth review on Blue Nile if you want to read more.
What is Blue Nile’s warranty policy?
Blue Nile offers a lifetime warranty on their products, and promise that everything they sell will be free from manufacturing defects at the time of delivery. Click here to read about it on their website.
They also say that they will repair and maintain your jewelry for a lifetime.
What this means is that if there are any issues with your jewelry that are a result of an issue with the manufacturing, they will repair it at no cost to you.
However, if there is an issue that is not as a result of a defect, then Blue Nile will repair it, but there may be a charge to do so.
If you have any issues with the jewelry contact their customer service team (click here) and they’ll request you to send the piece back for inspection. You’ll have to pay $30 for a fully insured shipping label, but they will send it back to you for free.
Once it’s back at Blue Nile HQ, they’ll let you know if there’s any additional charges, in case the type of work you need done isn’t covered by the warranty. They’ll advise you of this before doing any work.
To read more details about the Blue Nile lifetime warranty, click here.
What’s covered by the Blue Nile free lifetime warranty?
Wear and tear is the most common enemy of jewelry, especially engagement rings, which are on your hands every day and can get knocked or caught on things.
Below are the types of things that are covered by the Blue Nile lifetime free warranty;
- Ring resizing (first year only)
- Rhodium plating
- Refinishing and polishing
- Inspection and cleaning
- Prong tightening
- Any manufacturing defects
Read related article: Blue Nile ring resizing
What does the Blue Nile Warranty not cover?
The lifetime warranty is pretty good, but there are a few things that aren’t covered by the free warranty, these are listed below:
- Discoloration due to exposure to chemicals, make-up, swimming pools, hot tubs or bathing.
- Prongs and precious metals, in general, wear over time and may require “building up” or restoration work.
- Bent, caught or worn out prongs(s) allowing a stone to fall out or be lost due to normal wear or other damage.
- Lost stone or a stone has fallen out due to chipping or breaking caused by normal wear or other damage.
How long is the Blue Nile warranty?
As the name suggests the lifetime warranty is for a lifetime, meaning forever! This gives you incredible peace of mind to know that you’re covered for as long as you have that piece of jewelry.
Even if you end up handing it down it to a family member through the generations, it will still be covered. Now that is a great heirloom piece!
Read related article: Blue Nile return policy
How does the Blue Nile warranty compare to competitors?
The best way to know if the warranty offered by a jewelry retailer is good or bad, is to compare it to other jewelers. Many jewelry stores offer lifetime warranties, but the most of them only cover manufacturer defects, offer complimentary cleaning of diamond rings and doesn’t include damage due to normal wear (like metal discoloration or loose prongs) but Blue Nile offers more than this.
As we mentioned above, the Blue Nile warranty offers free prong tightening, re-polishing, rhodium plating and cleaning services. It also includes one free ring resize for the first 1 year after purchase. These services are the best for maintaining your quality jewelry forever.
Read more about Blue Nile’s warranty on the Blue Nile site here.
Pros and cons of Blue Nile’s warranty
- Automatic free lifetime warranty for all jewelry once purchased
- Offers more services than other jewelers in their lifetime warranty
- One free resize in the first year
- Customer must pay to ship item when sending the item back
- Additional charges for repair issues not covered by the warranty